Success did not come easily – at one time during the headmastership of William Stevens the school roll dropped to a single boy. The foundation of the school in a form which can be recognised today stems from the vision of Steuart Adolphus Pears (Headmaster 1854-1874) who became recognised as the school’s ‘Second Founder’. Pears School is named after him.
Under his guidance classrooms were built, land was acquired for the school chapel (opened 1859), and three additional boarding houses were built.
Image source: www.repton.org.uk/galleries
The 20th century saw further growth culminating in 1957 when the 400 Hall was opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II. This was followed by the progressive integration of girls, first into the Sixth Form and then across all ages so that today the school is fully co-educational.
The recently completed Science Priory represents a further important step in the continuing evolution of a school which today takes pupils from around the world.